Thursday, March 1, 2012

Women Working in the Recording Studio

Recently I have come across a rather surprising interview by a so-called reputable recording engineer and writer on the subject of studio recording techniques. He was essentially claiming that men do not want to work with women in the studio. So, he concludes that it is for principally this reason that female music producers are so rarely found working in the field of recording and mixing creative music.

Apparently less than five per cent of audio engineers and music producers are female. The reasons for this gender imbalance is regularly debated. One reason put forward is that the long working hours necessary to attain the skills to be a professional engineer or producer are too long for women. I do, however, have an instant resistance to this argument. Women are often found in jobs that require long working hours, and often receiving low pay. And motherhood requires a twenty four seven duty, usually without a day off. So I am not convinced that women are not capable of working long hours.

As a freelance engineer and female music producer, I actually think it more a question of confidence. And often this is the confidence and support to be able to pursue what you really want to do. Most recording engineers are passionate about what they do and enjoy their job greatly. They also have to be dedicated to be able to make a living out of this work. So determination and confidence is key when there is tough competition for jobs and clients.

I do not want to believe that male musicians and fellow engineers would prefer not to work with women in the studio. I think this is insulting to men and very out of touch with how things are nowadays. I myself have worked very happily with many men who do not seem to have any problem with my gender. They are just treating me as a colleague, a team member or a capable member of staff in a studio. The only sexism I did come across was actually at engineering school.

I was therefore very disappointed to read such pessimistic views by a respected voice the in field of audio engineering. But thankfully, I know that these grim conclusions have not been my experience. Women and men can work very well side by side. And they do work well together day in day out in many recording environments, even if the number of female music producers is still very low.

Caro is a creative recording engineer working in the UK. She is also producer and performer of independent creative music.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Caro_Churchill

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6869036

No comments:

Post a Comment